Friday, February 11, 2011

My first "Hollywood" movie, with my name to the credit. Aaaa, the recognition of being international is good enough already for a humble soul like mine...(still in pre-production)

My name in the credit for a movie
IMPORTANT NOTE: The name of the movie which I'm credited is THE LODGER (still in pre-production). The reason why I added this is so other people reading this don't mistaken me for their film instead.

Why movie credits are important to an artiste?
Movie credits are a great way to give an artiste his/her recognition in the industry. It's a way to show that your work is appreciated and valued. Not only actors, but people behind-the-scenes matter just as much. The reason actors are usually first billed in the closing credits of any movie you watched is because they are considered the face, due to their visibility on the finished work - that is the movie. An international movie is altogether a much elevated experience, say compared to a local film because a Hollywood movie is being distributed around the world. Their audience base is so, so much bigger, raking in millions (some even nearing a billion) of box-office receipt. Depending on the type of movie, some are very much a director's brand-driven movie, hence the credit of the film director would appear first. Looking at my name featured in the credit among the other international actors is simply amazing. One of the actors was in a recent Hollywood blockbuster action movie! Others from a strong theater background.

Why do you go abroad for work, instead of local?
A lot of people may wonder why I decided to pursue my acting career abroad, instead of local. The reason is very simple: I go where the work takes me. Someone once said that an actor is like a traveller. He will have no permanent home, friends or families. A work offered, no matter how small or big, is still work (provided the money is respectable). There's money involved, and I as an actor have to respect that. And it's not easy to get noticed like that and being offered a role, no matter the size for a Hollywood movie especially. If I'm a good actor, I need to expand my portfolio abroad. Somebody did asked "But why?". Then I answered very simply, "Because I can" Sometimes an actor has to be realistic too. Earning a living through your work is very important. If your home country has no job to offer (or if they do offer but it's peanuts), then one has to go where there is work. An actor has to eat too, right? Starring in one international (Asian region, at least) commercial does not make an actor's living.



Bags all bought and packed
An appreciation and gratefulness for this short life
I cannot reveal too much about the movie yet, for it is still in production. But I have already bought my bag, shown here in the picture. Hopefully the negotiations come through amicably. Like what I always believe, it is always good to share your knowledge. An actor like myself seek only to accumulate experience. What is life but an appreciation of good acting experience with directors and producers who trust in your ability? 100 years from now, none of us will be around, and what do we leave behind? For me, I wish to leave my experience, a legacy through my writings here. My humble little footsteps of notes and jottings of how I feel and view this acting world, in this journey we metaphorically call life. Extraordinary? Hopefully. Exciting? Always. I am simply thankful that my name is out there in the world, and people respect me to offer me a role with the right amount of compensation that I can be happy to accept.