Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Truly the work of top German engineering and technology


Pictures Copyright by blog owner
 I'm just like everyone else, trying to make a living as an artiste. Most of the times, it's very hard to get good acting jobs because all the main or supporting roles in Malaysia are very race specific. Malay dramas, they look for Malay actors. Chinese dramas, they look for Chinese actors (unfortunate for me because I cannot read Chinese) and so forth. No wonder racial issues still exist in our country right? And the pay not encouraging either.

Luck and timing plays a huge part
Sometimes luck and timing can be on an artiste's side. I met Peter Wolfgang a few years back on a casual outing, and he saw the potential in me - as a model! Can you believe that? Personally, I know I don't have the chops to be a model. My height is short and my body not tight and muscular. But Peter said I can act very well, after seeing in a few of my films and commercials. And that is good enough for him to cast me in his next photoshoot. Acting to him is evoking emotions through pictures, and I excelled at that.



Awestruck by someone so humble

Mr.Peter Wolfgang & me
 So my acting abilities led me to this photoshoot assignment. During the shoot, I found out that Peter had shot for many international magazines like Vogue, Vanity Fair and many others foreign publications! Knowing that, I was awestruck that he would chose me to be his model. The very opportunity to be just working for a noted photographer like him is good enough for me.

So what have I learned in this experience to share with others?
The gentle side of me
Writing this experience, I love to share with my readers here how different it was working for a foreigner compared to the locals. Everyone can benefit and learn the way international photographers work. (unless you want to be ignorant and think highly of yourself) Peter told me to treat this photoshoot like in a film shoot. He said it's all the same, except his are for still photographs which is a minor difference. He told me to use my acting skills and be natural in front of his lense. So what are the difference working with Peter and his German crew as with a local production?

They understand time precision and its value
Strength - inside out
The shoot timetable was drafted and was given to me a week earlier. And you know what? No missed time or activity. All the work and setting up of the camera and lighting was completed according to the timeline stated. Germans have a great sense of timing, respect and value of time. I asked Peter do Germans worked overtime? He said everyone goes home at the stated time, for all work is done for the day. No worry, no stress. Because everyone is doing their jobs.

They recognise true talent - beyond just the superficial
I mean, come on, look at me. I don't see myself as a model, but the photographs Peter took was all fantastic and beautiful. His strong belief in me uplifts my confidence in my own abilities. He said he knows how good I am in acting and that will come through his photographs as well. No doubt some good looks can help, but your true abilities speak more of you as a talent. Helping others to do well will in turn inspires you to do well too. That's why I love coaching others in my Artiste Training Course.

They share knowledge
Sharing knowledge here means communication. During the photoshoot, everything went on uncannily smooth. I was expecting some kind of glitch or some unhappy crew member who would shout and belitttle others (like most of our local productions do). But no such thing. Everything went smoothly because everyone communicates with each other on a professional level. Peter trusts in my abilities, and that in turn makes me do my best. Same thing goes with others - the lighting crew, talent coordinator, line producer etc. Everything is explained clearly and simply at every level. No hidden agendas, witholding grudges (emotional) or worst, misinformation.

So how can we make our industry better? Simply imitate others who did better than us.