Sunday, June 13, 2010

You're 23 only once, so why worry?


Doesn't matter how old you are, be it 43, 33 or 23. Do you know that you only go through your current age only ONCE? You're never going to be the same age as you are again, come next year. NEVER. That's how time move. It doesn't wait for you or care about your worry.

I had the most insightful conversation with a new student today. He has dreams of becoming an artiste. Of course, now he's working in a job that makes him feel like the walking dead. I told him that the fact that he's working it's great that he's getting a monthly salary. But he's not happy. He wanted to pursue the life of an artiste and expressed his many concerns, in which I would like to share here, with the hope that other followers here may get some answers to their questions too.

Family objection (be it your father or fiancee)
He was very concerned of his family's objection of him becoming an artiste. Like I told all new students, they should take it easy. It doesn't mean once you take the Artiste Training Course, you would become an artiste immediately. This course functions as a knowledge base where you would gain an understanding of becoming an artiste. And you need to, if you treat artiste work as being PROFESSIONAL.(I know there's a lot of people who don't think so, sad to say. Thanks to the bad picture painted in the local tabloids) His family members should not worry about him becoming an artiste, because he isn't one....yet. Just inform your concerned family members that you are merely trying to learn new skills. Remember: the new skills you learned in Artiste Training Course can be applied in your daily life too, be it professional or personal.

Career future - yes or no?
The second concern is whether he might have a career as artiste in Malaysia. In my Artiste Training Course, I will be very realistic with each of my students' capabilities assessment. Depending on how much DRIVE they have, not all can carve out a career. On the safe side, I advise my students who are currently working, to maintain their jobs. Don't quit your job and immediately hope to get an artiste career. For those who are unemployed and seeking a career as artiste, my advise is to start your own business first (not related to artiste). Any type of small business will do, say sell nasi lemak or be a taxi driver. At least this small business of yours is able to give you time flexibility in pursuing your artiste career, unlike a rigid office job where your free time is controlled by your boss.

Money - it'll always come back.
A lot of artistes in Malaysia aren't rich. Even the famous ones. Except if you are married or related to a datuk or someone financially stable. But you do able to get some income in your chosen artiste life. It's the satisfaction you get when you see your work displayed in the media. I know a lot of the general public dislike Malaysian artiste, due to the popularity of tabloid media. From this built-up dislike, a lot of our films and music aren't that profitable. I really do feel sad for my student whom his girlfriend threaten to break-up with him if he were to become an artiste. I say, if your loved ones can't support you for what you do, you can always find someone else who do. Just don't torture yourself. If you want to do something, do it all the way.

If any of you guys have questions to ask me about life as an artiste, feel free to pop your question here and I will try to answer to my best ability.