Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chinese New Year/Valentine Dinner at KLCC (A matter of giving & getting)






Now I never write reviews about food or restaurants. But since it was a special double occasion which falls on the same day, I will try my best to be fair. We started off the dinner with Yee Sang: a mixture of sweet and sour sauce, added with crackers, slices of carrot, (gosh, it's making me hungry writing this) and raw fish slice. For appetisers, we each had different type of soup. I ordered a traditional Chinese soup: a thick paste of fish, shrimp (kinda spicy too)and Chinese wine. My significant other ordered a corn and egg mixed soup (very American, to my opinion, and very safe)

Then we had the shrimps cooked in egg slices (my favourite). My partner ordered the yam encrusted with vegetables mixed with mushrooms. (not exactly my favourite, because a bit too mild and ehem: NO KICK). I was surprised to see a group of Malay family walked out from the dining hall, which means the food there is halal (meaning no pork, in compliance with Islamic food regulations).

The bill came close to RM200. Personally, I find it a bit pricey, but given the location being KLCC (duh!), I can give this high billing a miss. Besides, it is the first day of Chinese New Year, and nobody should be "kiamsiap" (frugal) when it comes to spending; for the more generous you start the new year, the more it will come back to you. In other words "the more you give, the more you'll receive".

I strongly believe this principle of giving applies very much to the life of an Artiste. An artiste needs to constantly GIVE. Giving their concentration and study the role or character they are entrusted by the film director. When it's time for the film to roll, the artiste must be ready to GIVE their all through their performance. Even before the actual shooting, an Artiste has to GIVE their time for audition and patiently wait.

Unfortunately, a lot of aspiring artistes, when they first start out in the industry can only think of what they can GET. "I want to be a star. I want to be famous. I want, I want, I want" Isn't it ridiculous to ask people to give you a job, when you don't have any acting and interpersonal skill to impress? Interpersonal skill is another very important trait for it shows what sort of person you are. Many times, during my class session, I came upon this particular student who was being rude.

I won't talk much about him, but look how lacking of an impression he makes when he doesn't use tact and courtesy before opening his mouth (for example: he asked a question before the other person finish talking and giving snide comment like "why so nice today?"). I suppose he only thinks what he can GET, rather than what he truly wants to GIVE. Another clear example that people who gives are nicer. Also another reason why I keep my class small and exclusive.

When an Artiste learns to GIVE, he/she will be a totally different person. He/she will be more pleasant and courteous when dealing with people (this is a people industry, mind you). The Artiste will then learn (here's where our Artiste Training Course really helps you) to look deep inside him/herself and really brings out the talent that lies within. When that happens, I assure you, your talent will never go unnoticed.