Friday, September 18, 2009

Being an Artiste is more than just performing...


It's also about how you handle the production crew. Recently I was invited to act in a telemovie. It's really quite awful the whole scenario. I came on time, but the transport were late for more than 2 hours. Then there was a change in location. Now, if you're a seasoned artiste like I am, you would use this waiting time to do other things: like reading your script or go to a cybercafe nearby to check for other castings. At the same time, remember to call on the transport person from time to time to see where he is.

Back to this production, I arrived on the apartment set and the assistant director came to me. This particular "guy" were very reserved and uncommunicative. A big no-no if you're in this industry. Sometimes I don't know why she is even hired for the job for her tomboy gangster attitude is awfully intimidating. An assistant director should be more accommodating to the talent and seek to communicate well. For this assistant director, she only likes to give orders, so the talents are expected to obey like dogs to a master. Sad scenario here in the local production team.

The assistant director kept on changing the way my script was supposed to be read, and at most times got me agitated by her indecisiveness. It may be because she doesn't like me because my profile doesn't suit what she wanted. But a professional has got to work with whom she got. She forgot that I was recommended for the job. As artistes, do not give in to such bad treatment. This is the most difficult time, one that you need to stand on your ground.

After some arduous moments shooting with her, it's time for us to wrap for another scene. Upon arrival of the new set, the assistant producer came to me and told me the reduction of the talent fees because of the apartment scene were not to the assistant director's satisfaction. Now, this should never happen to any respecting artistes, even if you are new. When you had agreed on the original payment sum, the producer must give you the exact same sum even if they're not happy with you. That's what we call professionalisme. If they don't, inform directly to the executive producer.

For this one, they even dare to show their ugly stripes and look threatening like gangsters. It got me pissed off for thinking they can treat talents any way they want. In the script, I was supposed to dance like a crazy moron because high on some drugs. When it came to that scene, I simply said no to the director. That got the assistant director really angry and he told the assistant producer about my refusal. I came head to head with both of them, unafraid and direct to the point. Finally, now I remembers again why so many talents doesn't feel motivated to be in this industry because of the plain childish attitude from some of this so-called "assistant directors and producers" (who are probably new and thinks they're in charge). They simply don't know how to treat talents as an equal!

That's why I always inform my talents that they need to go through a formal artiste training course. Not just to learn about the skills in performing arts, but more than that. The skill in handling unfair, ridiculous situations like mine, that is getting more rampant everyday.