Friday, August 31, 2007

My wish for this Independence Day > I wish more Malaysians could laugh at themselves more


I was at KL Sentral, a highly modern architectural building that boasts world-class transportational commuting services from air to land travel. As I was coming down in the escalator, i heard shouts from these group of salespeople bidding the passers-by to board their shuttle buses to the airport. Since it was our 50th year National Day celebration, to my own surprise the shout of "Merdeka" rings a different kind of bell as compared to these maniac fellas shouting about their services extremely bluntly without any realiasation of what marketing is all about. Is it wrong for other countries to label us Malaysians as one of the world's rudest people? I mean, if you want me to buy something, don't force it down my throat or threatens me the consequences of not buying it. I think it is true that a majority of us still has that 3rd world mentality even though our infrastructure is all 1st class.

But what is a 3rd world mentality? I think it's quite a harsh term, but rather accurate one if one exudes such behavior so explicitly, isn't it? It's sad to know that many people are afraid of making mistakes. But again, who is that person who determines what is wrong? How can you have the correct all the time, without at least considering the incorrect? I believe a majority of the people are fearful of doing anything, for the fear of being labelled as incorrect. When that happens, no one dares to venture beyond, thus staying always within the status quo. Hence the inner frustration could cause someone to be condemning and blameful causing a vicious cycle of some sort among a society, resulting in shouting in marketing your services..


I believe all the argument above can be condensed into a case of outward appearances versus the inward self. I can't speak from a political point of view, but as a Working Artiste, I can at least give some opinions about the film aspect. I know there has been a lot of people crying that the local films have no quality and such, but really, it is not the films' quality that we should blame. If it's not the films to be blamed, then we should talk about the censors and strict guidelines put upon by the board of censors. Incredibly, I find they too are not to be placed upon the blame. Here comes the ultimate frustration, "who is it to be blamed for all these 3rd class mess" you may asked. Well, all I can say is go listen to Kylie Minogue's song "Spinning Around".

If you really listen to the lyrics of that song, which I happen to love, you'll hear about the philosophy of turning on a new leaf in your life and focusing back on yourself as an individual. What glorious truth to a wounding mind and soul. That's it! We can all sing about the nation's strength and glorious past history and patriotism, and we can still go back to our shouting habits on the streets. Or perhaps we can change a new tune this Merdeka, and take a good look at ourselves. It's like the proverbial mouse in the maze, where the scientists placed them in for their experiements. Perhaps our minds and behaviors has been conditioned to think like the mouse. But when you listen to Spinning Around, you'll realised that your life can be turned around and you are actually free to love whomever you want and achieve your dreams whatever it may be when it is simpliedfied to just the very individual. I know it may seems a bit naive, but really I think everyone should let their new national anthem be about freedom within themselves to be whoever they want to be, despite your colour, age, gender and religion. So go on, mouse, run wild! It's an open field.
PLEASE VOTE MY NEW VIDEO> KRIS LAW "YELLOW UMBRELLA"

VOTE via ONLINE WEBSITE for KRIS LAW, Yellow Umbrella video! Click below: http://www.musicunlimited.com.my/muse/web2/dyn/happenings?r=5492&goto=muon8/index.aspx
> click at video KRIS LAW, Yellow Umbrella > then click VOTE VOTE

VOTE via EMAIL (as many times you want), type "MU(space)25" in the headline to musicunlimited@8tv.com.my

VOTE via SMS (as many times you want, if you have Malaysian line), type "MU(space)25" to 33838